The Bell in the Belltower
Ever wonder about the bell that rings on Sunday before service, calling all to church on Sunday morning? The bell, a gift from Sam Brown, Esq., is almost as old as the church building. Our historian Lynn Farnell recently came across some notes indicating that it was first hung in the tower in 1822 during May or June. The bell cracked at some point after that and was recast in 1839.
The bell was cast by Major George Holbrook at the Holbrook Bell Foundry in Wrentham, MA who apprenticed under Paul Revere. His bell foundry was the only one in the country from 1816 to 1820. It was generally thought to be the successor to the Revere bell foundry. Holbrook won medals for the “general superiority and pure musical tones” of his bells.
John Turtle has climbed into the steeple to photograph the bell as it is today.
Historical information on the bell: THE_HOLBROOK_BELL_FOUNDRY_OF_EAST_MEDWAY.pdf